- To setup a mail filter, or "email rule", click on "Options" (top left) from your Yahoo inbox.
- Select "Mail Options" and choose "Filters" on the left, in the Options tab that opened.
- Click "+ Add", and type a descriptive Filter Name on the right.
Note: by default, Yahoo Mail filters are case-insensitive: it will consider something a match even if uppercase / lowercase letters don't match what you entered. To make any of the rules below case-sensitive, just check their "[x] match case" checkboxes.
- All rules you create determine a match based on four "equivalencies".
• "Contains" will match your condition anywhere in the field.
• "Does not contain" will exclude any message that contains the condition you entered.
• "Begins with" will only match the first few letters/words of the field.
• "Ends with" only compares with how the selected field ends.
- To filter messages based on Sender, select a matching criterion from the dropdown, and type part of or the entire sender's name or email address.
Tip: before automatically deleting messages with rules, remember that you can block up to 500 email addresses. It's easier to setup and doesn't count towards your 100 filters limit!
- Enter a name or email address to filter messages based on Recipient.
- Add a condition for the Subject to match emails by subject line (aka "email title").
- Finally, Yahoo lets you filter messages based on Email Body: any word it contains could trigger a match, so this is the most flexible way to create rules (possibly very unpredictable).
- Once you're done, pick the folder in which Yahoo Mail should move matched messages (including "Spam" or "Trash" for undesirable emails).
- Choose another group of settings on the left to save your filter; to edit a filter, select it and change its conditions; to delete a filter, select it and click on the trash can icon at the top.
- Setup an email program with Yahoo and create advanced rules for more powerful actions.
Tip: upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus to get up to 200 filters (i.e., double the standard limit).