- As with Yahoo Mail, you can send text messages from AOL Mail in a web browser (not when using it from an email program) - very practical option if you don't have your cell phone handy.
Keep in mind that the recipient may be charged for texts, depending on their data plan.
- When signed into your account, click on the "Compose Text" icon (near top left).
- Enter the destination mobile phone number, including country- and area-code (10 digits).
Tip: if you see a "AIM needs to reconnect" notice at the bottom, click on the "Sign in" link below it - you will see "Characters left: 130" when you're ready to type in the white box.
- Hit Enter (Windows or Linux) or Return (Mac OS X) to send the message - you're done!
Note: if you get a "Oops! This number is not able to receive texts from our service" error message, it simply means that AOL doesn't (yet) support your friend's carrier.
- To erase texts on your end, click on the arrow on the right of the number and select "Clear Window". To send texts to another phone, click on "Compose Text" again to get a new popup.